Thursday, June 7, 2007

A Council Blogcast

I spent four years as a reporter for The Washington Post covering Howard County in the early 1990s and passed many a loooong night at council meetings and other government confabs. They can be tedious but strangely addicting. I've steered clear of a lot of politics and policy so far in the Columbia Talk blog because I just don't feel as informed as I once was.

But I've got this idea jangling around my head.

Council sessions and school board meetings are televised, right? What if instead of yelling at the TV in the quiet of our own homes we created an online chat room to comment on the festivities in real time. Would that be a net positive for democracy or not?

Should there be some rules of the road for participating?

What software would be useful?

I'm willing to play host for a time or two to get things off and running if anyone thinks this might be worth a try.

It certainly feels like this might produce some fresh fodder for the blogosphere.

No comments: